Where to source a roll bar main hoop?

Discuss all things auto related.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Where to source a roll bar main hoop?

Post by hufflepuff »

I am looking to install a roll bar into my tin-can-of-a-Honda since it has seen (and will continue to see) road course action. I want to do a weld in, and between my friend and I we have the equipment and welding skill to do a safe, effective install. I can buy the bar stock online, but the only thing I don't have is a mandrel bender.

My goal is to buy the main hoop, which is the only curved part of a simple 6-point roll bar. It needs to be DOM 1.5x0.095" to meet NASA CCR regs (I'd like to expand it someday to meet club racing regs). My hope is that I can keep my costs down quite a bit if the main hoop is the only thing I need fabricated; the straight tubing and plates are easy to source/cut/notch.

Has anyone purchased roll cage components online, or had pieces made locally?
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
qtrracer
Car: 86 Mustang GT 'Vert
CDC Member#: 612

Re: Where to source a roll bar main hoop?

Post by qtrracer »

I just had a custom, removable rollbar designed, built and installed in the 86 by Piper Motorsports in Leesburg. I'm sure if you give them a call and tell them what you want they might be able to help. Talk to Robbie and tell him Greg sent you. (703) 777-6301 If you want I can send you pics - work of art.
dscherpf
Car: 98 BMW 318ti
CDC Member#: 723

Post by dscherpf »

It would be a hike from Bowie but there is a place in Zullinger, PA called Pro Tube.

A guy here at work had them put some bends on a piece of DOM to make a part of a Jeep front bumper. He supplied the DOM and a CAD drawing and they charged a pretty small fee, around $20 I think. His bar only had two bends in it. I think he said they can source the DOM tube as well and they had a pretty reasonable cost for that.

Maybe there is a place like that closer to you?
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

I ended up getting a you-weld-it kit from rollcagecomponents.com. The owner was very helpful.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/