Educate me about small vintage cars! (MGs, Triumphs, etc)

Discuss all things auto related.
AndrewD
Car: '10 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
CDC Member#: 500

Educate me about small vintage cars! (MGs, Triumphs, etc)

Post by AndrewD »

I went with a coworker to look at a vintage truck in which he was interested. The dealership also had what I think was a 1977 MG MGB. I sat in it, and was surprised at how well the car actually seats (if you're not too tall that is).

Originally, my gameplan was to eventually get a corvette or cobra, but now I'm thinking it might be pretty fun to get a super-light car instead.

Given that these cars are 30-50 years old, what makes/models should i look at? What's the most attainable (in terms of price) and what's generally the most maintainable/reliable?

MG MGB's appear to range from 3-25k in price, but I honestly have no idea what separates the low end from the high (save for maybe a full restoration).

I know we have quite a few vintage cars driven at CDC events so I'd love to get everyone's opinions. Triumphs, Morgans, Austin Healeys, I'm really open to all of them! :)
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Re: Educate me about small vintage cars! (MGs, Triumphs, etc

Post by FredK »

My first car was a '67 MG BGT. I loved it, but it did suck too. Lucas electrics are always horrible and unreliable. Mechanically they are interesting, but not very so good either. If you want a lifelong project get an old English car. The pre '73 cars are a lot better than the older models because of all the safety stuff.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Here's a few things I've learned with all the various British cars that I've had...

1. Decide what car you really want. If you buy the first make/model without seriously taking time to decide what you really want, you'll get a car, pour lots of money into it, then decide you'd rather have a different car (while being upside down on the first car). So, do some research and some sole searching.

2. Buy the best example you can find and afford. Trying to buy a project and making money almost always turns into a full restoration costing more than the car is worth (not including your labor at negative $$ per hour). The one Pro on restoring a car is that you get to know the car and know that it was repaired to your satisfaction (since you did it). If you buy a "restored" car, it might just be full of rust and bondo and you can get taken. So the best senario would be that you personally know an owner and the car and watched it being restored, then the owner is willing to sell it to you at a reasonable price.

3. Estimate how much it will cost to restore the car. Now triple the cost and that is a reasonable estimate of the total cost (I'm not kidding). With the total cost you have in the car, divide it in half and that's what you will be able to sell it (I'm not kidding). This rule of thumb is also true with race cars.

In terms of British cars, here's my preference in order:

1. Aston Martin DB4, DB5, or DB6 (more money that I can ever afford Over $650K)
2. AC Aceca (should have bought Richard Lipsky's) ($10K to $80K super rare and I love the coupe)
3. 1961-1967 Jaguar XKE (E Type) Roadster (don't like the coupes) ($50K+ I like the 3.8L aluminum dash ones the most, but again it's out of my price range). After 1967, the headlights weren't covered in glass and don't look as good and are worth much less - also less likely to go up in value as much
3. 1953-1956 Austin Healey 100 ($20K -$60K for a good driver) This car is about the most expensive car I can afford. I love the fold down windshield.
4. 1959-1962 Austin Healey 3000 ($20K to $60K for a good driver) I love the six cylinder's power and sound. I also like the true roadster (no roll up windows). I have to admit that the car does feel super heavy up front, but it's super cool. The earlier Austin Healey 100-6 (1957-1959) are also a little cheaper but don't appreciate as much.
5. 1965-1967 Austin Healey 3000 (BJ8) ($40K -$60K for a good driver). Super cool touring sports car with the curved windshield, walnut dashboard. This car pours out class. This car is the first Healey I restored with my friend Pat, and also help my friend Warren with his BJ8. I just like the earlier cars more - they just seem more sporty.
6. TVR Griffith. ($30K+) Super cool and super fast with the small block Ford. People either love the looks or hate it. I would also put the Lotus Elan (from the 1960's not the 1990's) along the same ranking. I also like the Lotus Europa ($4K for a MK2 driver) but have to admit it looks kind of goofy.
7. Sumbeam Tiger ($30K+) Maxwell Smart's car also with a SB Ford V8. Cool car but I don't like the 13" wheels.
8. Triumph TR3 ($10K for a good driver). Cool car that is one of the first cars that launched the British Car craze, plus it goes much faster than an MGTD.
9. Triumph TR6 ($8K will buy you a super nice clean driver). This car is the car that Joe Seward and I autocross at CDC. I like the 1973 year because of the dual timing chain (single chain before 73) and before the big heave over-ride bumpers were added in 1974. I do, however, like the dash of the 1969-1972 better than the later dash. This car is a fun car that holds its value. The six cylinder engine has more torque than a four cylinder car. This car is a good bang of the buck. TR4's are also cool cars that are about the same price range.
10. 1958-1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite (not square body) ($5K to $9K for a good driver). This car has gone up in the last few years. They are cute and fun (also eligible for small bore - but are pretty slow compared to a miata). This car has over 50 years of racing parts available and almost every racer has had one of these cars. The most important thing to look for is rust. Don't buy one unless it has little or no rust. I have a couple of these cars (rollers) and it took some time to find rust-free examples. The value of these cars is really due to that these cars are collectable. You can also buy a Spridget (1961-73) for as little as $500 and have as much fun, but the resale value is zero.
11. MGA ($7 -$10K for a driver). I like the earler 1500 cars better, and don't like the werid tail lights of the late MGAs. These cars are much cheaper (and slower) than a Healey 100 or Healey 3000. They look cool, but not as cool as a Healey. Then again it's over $20K cheaper...
12. Austin Mini (from the 1960's). ($4K - $8K) Fun car that make you think you're going a lot faster than you really are. Everyone smiles when they see the car. Plus they have a colorful history of beat everything in the 1960's Rallies.
13. 1962-1974 MGB Chrome bumper ($2K-$4K for a driver, $7K for a show car). Neat cars and pretty cheap. Make sure the car has zero rust. Otherwise, you'll spend more on rust repair than the car is worth. This car is a basic British sports car. I have an MGB and put a Rover V8 in it.
14. Triumph Spitfire. ($1K) Super cheap but fun car. Definately buy the best example since they are so cheap. I like the early car better. Some people take the GT6 (6 cylinder coupe verson that I forgot to list but would place it above the MGB) and put a Sptifire body.

I forgot to mention that the price range I gave may be a little off (probably on the low side) and should be used just for comparision.

I didn't mention the new British Cars like the new Mini,the Lotus Elise, since I figure you aren't interested in the new stuff.

If you want more information, let me know. I'm not an expert on the cars but have a few of them.

Ed
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

My first advice would be DON'T DO IT! Unless you've got a lot of time/money on your hands they are a lot of effort for something that you can only drive occasionally. Ask Ed or Joe how long that TR6 was in development for. Mike has 2 MGBs and he'll tell you. Him and I have been working on the one in "good" condition regularly for the last 4 years and it only "mostly" runs... as long as you don't need heat, or ac, or brakes, or a water tight top, or power, or handling...

It's kind of weird because I wouldn't really recommend anybody buy an old british car yet I WANT ONE SO BADLY :lol:

If you've been looking at a cobra/corvette the old british car is about as completely in the opposite direction as you can get. They're a blast to drive but traditionally lacking power (for the ones I can afford) and stuff just breaks. If you have one you're in love with then you can look past all the shortcomings. Or you can buy one like what Rocky just bought. Triumph GTV6 (I think) with a V8 swap. Gorgeous car.
echan wrote:1. Decide what car you really want. If you buy the first make/model without seriously taking time to decide what you really want, you'll get a car, pour lots of money into it, then decide you'd rather have a different car (while being upside down on the first car). So, do some research and some sole searching.

2. Buy the best example you can find and afford. Trying to buy a project and making money almost always turns into a full restoration costing more than the car is worth (not including your labor at negative $$ per hour). The one Pro on restoring a car is that you get to know the car and know that it was repaired to your satisfaction (since you did it). If you buy a "restored" car, it might just be full of rust and bondo and you can get taken. So the best senario would be that you personally know an owner and the car and watched it being restored, then the owner is willing to sell it to you at a reasonable price.

3. Estimate how much it will cost to restore the car. Now triple the cost and that is a reasonable estimate of the total cost (I'm not kidding). With the total cost you have in the car, divide it in half and that's what you will be able to sell it (I'm not kidding). This rule of thumb is also true with race cars.
Good input Ed. These 3 statements couldn't be any more true.

echan wrote: 9. Triumph TR6 ($8K will buy you a super nice clean driver). This car is the car that Joe Seward and I autocross at CDC. I like the 1973 year because of the dual timing chain (single chain before 73) and before the big heave over-ride bumpers were added in 1974. I do, however, like the dash of the 1969-1972 better than the later dash. This car is a fun car that holds its value. The six cylinder engine has more torque than a four cylinder car. This car is a good bang of the buck. TR4's are also cool cars that are about the same price range.
Ed I feel like you might be off on some of your prices. IDK where you buy your old british cars. If I could find a super clean TR6 for $8k I'd own one already.
--Nick D
echan

Post by echan »

v10climber wrote: Ed I feel like you might be off on some of your prices. IDK where you buy your old british cars. If I could find a super clean TR6 for $8k I'd own one already.
Here's one in DC on Craigslist...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ ... 90940.html

1969 Triumph TR-6 ( TR6 ) For Sale - $2800 (Washington, DC)
I have a 1969 convertible TR-6 for sale. This car has 73,406 miles on it. I have owned this car since 1982 and enjoyed restoring it over the years. It is British green with black interior. It has a luggage rack on the rear trunk lid. The body and interior are in good condition, except for a dent on the driver's door. The wheels have the original wire spokes.

I brought this car as a hobby for my retirement, driving it occasionally, on the weekends for short trips around town with the top down. It was last driven 4 years ago and has been parked in my garage since then. The motor and transmission were in good condition when I last drove it. I haven't tried to the start this car since it has been in the garage, the past 4 years. Anyone who buys this car needs to be able to tow it away.

I am asking $2,800 for it and will consider best offers. I am available to show you the car anytime during the week or weekend.
•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I realize that it might be a rust bucket, since the price is so low. But if Caitlin lets you get a TR6, I know where you can buy a set of triple DCOE webers! I admit that my prices are a little on the low side, but I also believe that buying a British sports car is pure luxury, and therefore you have to get a good deal to buy one...
echan

Post by echan »

v10climber wrote:My first advice would be DON'T DO IT! Unless you've got a lot of time/money on your hands they are a lot of effort for something that you can only drive occasionally. Ask Ed or Joe how long that TR6 was in development for. Mike has 2 MGBs and he'll tell you. Him and I have been working on the one in "good" condition regularly for the last 4 years and it only "mostly" runs... as long as you don't need heat, or ac, or brakes, or a water tight top, or power, or handling...
I forgot to mention that the following car have exhaust and engines right beside the driver's feet (I've melted tennis shoe soles with my 3000).

Austin Healey 3000 (all years)
Austin Healey 100 (all years)
Jaguar XKE (all years)
Sumbeam Tiger hot on both sides with the V8 (this engine is set so far back that the rear spark plugs are accessed from the interior!)

I would say that in 40 degree days you can drive with the top down because your feet are so hot, but what happens is that your feet are still hot and sweaty, while your hands an face are frost-bitten!
echan

Post by echan »

This car may be an interesting project...

http://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/3552722346.html

1960 MGA Roadster - $12250 (Rhode Island)
Powered by Leaflet — Terms435 West Avenue
This 1960 MGA Roadster is a car you can take out on Sundays and to local car shows and just enjoy on the open road. The car has a later MGB motor in it which makes for a more comfortable highway ride. This car is not a concourse restoration. It has very presentable white paint that shines nicely. The interior has some patina to it. The twincam style dashboard really sets off the white paint. The red leather seats are older replacement ones and show a fair bit of wear as you can see in the photos. The fenders on the car are fiberglass replacements, which makes for a better driving car, but they are not factory correct. Additionally, the car has had the inner rocker panels removed. The frame is dirty but straight and not rusty.

Overall, this MGA 1600 Roadster is a very presentable driver. It will always be a driver. There are things about it a purist would not be crazy about, but it is priced accordingly. At the end of the day this car represents an incredible value for a super driving example of one of the most iconic British sportscars ever built. This car has just been serviced.

Oxford Motorcars
435 West Avenue
Pawtucket, RI 02860
(401) 724-5650

Please visit WWW.OXFORDMOTORCARS.COM to see more pictures!

Talk them down to $8K.

Build a race prep'd MGB engine to get about 170HP. Replace the heavy wood floors with Carbon fiber sheets, and tires.

Then add this rear..

http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14314

Perfect for short roadrace circuits or autocross competition
A newly assembled MGB 5.12 welded diff - profession build by John Targett Motorsport - no miles on unit.

Price $400 + shipping

Located in Canton Michigan

Thanks,
John

My guess is that this car would scream at the autox!
AndrewD

Post by AndrewD »

echan wrote:This car may be an interesting project...

http://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/3552722346.html

Talk them down to $8K.

Build a race prep'd MGB engine to get about 170HP. Replace the heavy wood floors with Carbon fiber sheets, and tires.

Then add this rear..

http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14314

Perfect for short roadrace circuits or autocross competition
A newly assembled MGB 5.12 welded diff - profession build by John Targett Motorsport - no miles on unit.

My guess is that this car would scream at the autox!
convincing the driver in me is very easy! :) convincing my wallet...much more difficult, sadly :( :(

also i just realized space is an issue. i might be moving closer to the DC area (hooray!) but that also likely means having an apartment with no garage versus a house with a 2-car garage
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
AndrewD

Post by AndrewD »

2009 Yamaha FZ6R
echan

Post by echan »

AndrewD wrote:since i couldn't find the edit button....would any of these be worth looking into? the white 64 spitfire really caught my eye:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/3576061211.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/3525052037.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 36966.html

http://york.craigslist.org/cto/3568865780.html
I would ask "What body issues does it have" before driving all the way to Harrisburg. It looks like new metal was installed, but I would make sure as sure as possible that the car has NO rust. I think at that price, you should be able to get a super nice Spitfire. I think the early cars look much better than the later cars, but the later cars are suppose to have better suspension.

In terms of collectability, Spitfires are near the bottom of the list (keep in mind that British Sports Cars in general are not nearly as collectable as 1950's Ferraris). So if you're looking at re-sale, stay away from Spitfires totally. The cost of up keep is the same as a Bugeye Sprite, but he Sprite goes up in value.

BTW, I got in contact with the TR6 owner and talked to him for a few mintues. The car was sold "sight un-seen". Take this with a grain of salt... The owner told me that the car to rust-free but hasn't run in 4 years. "But ran fine when parked (I've heard that before)."

So ASSUMING:
1. The car really had no rust.
2. The car only needed an oil change and new gas (really need to also attend to the brakes and radiator hoses at a minimum) to get running.
3. No electrical problems

The TR6 was a steal at $2800. I think I would have bought it at that price, which the last thing I need is another car.

Ed
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

Andrew, the most important thing that Ed has said so far IMO is this "buying a British sports car is pure luxury." They should not be expected to do anything but entertain you from time to time. And if bought cheap, they are not even really cars. At best, they are 'drivable' projects (the drivable part is in quotations because it is not always the case). I am not trying to talk you out of it, but just understand that when you have one you need to be prepared for their foibles. Classic British cars are a different breed, they take time, money, and patience (and often more of all three than you are willing to part with). Take what Ed says to heart and buy the best example you can find and afford (but still have the funds to repair as needed). And do not buy anything with rust, period.

Also, it is important to really look into and find all the idiosyncrasies about the car before you buy in. Case in point: That spitfire you mentioned, beautiful car I must admit. But even if it was factory perfect, I would not dare take it out on the AutoX course without any mods. Seeing as it is from before 1970, that means that there is no 'swing spring' on the rear end. They say that images are worth a thousand words so let me be succinct and just show you what can happen to a car without said spring under heavy cornering loads:

This is known as 'Jacking' which has been eliminated in modern independent suspensions but an all to present problem for spitfires of that era. It is fixable and the cars can be great despite it. But my point is this: take your time, learn as much as you can about the type car you are looking for. This information will be worth more than you will believe when you go to look at the cars and talk to the owners. Once you decide on a make/model, isolate the years you are interested in and start your search. Money saving tip, find a car that the person who is selling built/restored to the type of car you want. If you want and AutoX car, find someone who is getting out of the game or trading up that has already spent all the money sorting the car. Otherwise Ed's prediction of spending 2-3x the car's ultimate value will come true. You can get some real value out of pre-modified cars. Just make sure you know what you are looking at so you can spot the BS.

Ed, if you see another Tr6 local in British Racing Green please tell me (especially at that price :shock:). I'm kind of glad I didn't see that one because I don't need another project, but if you see one for under $10K let me know.
Tedzilla
Car: '58 MGA Coupe '04 Porsche
CDC Member#: 1

Post by Tedzilla »

Forget that British Junk... Get something luxurious and reliable like a '72 Fiat 124 Spyder or an Alfa Romeo! I've got stray parts in the basement I'll give you a good price on...
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

I saw a Fiat Spyder kaput on the side of the road with the hood up last weekend in Sterling.

If you're thinking of getting a Triumph or MG, save yourself a LOT of headaches and get a Miata.

I've got a 1971 MGB taking up valuable garage space. I bought it in 1987. It was a clunker then and it's a clunker now. I used to store it during winters when I lived in Massachusetts and after the 1999 summer I put it in the barn and just kind of forgot about it. Then a couple years ago the guy who owned the barn said he was selling the property and retiring to Florida, come get your POS and take it home.

The car was running when parked as they say, and in a week of work I can take care of the few small things that should be taken care of and make it a running, viable car again.

The only problem was that sometime between 1999 and two years ago I bought a Miata. Then another one. And another one, etc etc. They're awesome.

Soon I will have a running MGB that will have no purpose in this world. The only thing it has on a Miata is chrome bumpers and a classic musty smell. Everything else it does, the Miata can do, and does far better. Starts every time. Doesn't use oil. Doesn't have funky carburetors. Doesn't have drum brakes in back. Gets 30 MPG. Has HYOOOGE aftermarket full of go-fast goodies. Can keep up with traffic on the Beltway. I could go on.

I suppose if you're shopping for an old Brit, you've already decided that you don't want a Miata. This theoretical Brit, is it going to be a daily driver? A weekend toy? An autocross oddball? A two-year restoration project?

Just keep your eyes wide open because there is a lot of junk out there, my car included. My car actually looks really good as a 35/35 car but problems lie underneath decent paint and chrome. Do your homework, ask questions, and get on a first-name basis with http://www.britishcarforum.com
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I have to admit that I've never owned a British sports car but IMHO if you are looking for a hobby -- then go for one of the beautiful, quirky, British cars. They are amazing when they are running. But if you are looking for the sports car experience and are NOT a masochist-- Go with the Miata. Huge-and competitve aftermarket allow you to take a great handling street car and turn it into an amazing and embarrassing(for the other guy(who probably has a lot more horsepower ))car that will start, stop, not leak(Water in the top or oil out the bottom)and communicate with you during turns like few other cars on the road.
Best luck on your decision.

Dan
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

They might be terrible cars, but old Brits make for great garage shelving

AndrewD

Post by AndrewD »

yeah it's more just the desire for something that's tiny, light, and unique.

in that case i should probably get a lotus elise - unique and light...doesn't have nearly the reliability issues of its predecessors.

sounds like i'd need a dedicated garage if i were actually going to get an MG or Triumph. and i definitely don't have that right now!

thanks for the input, everyone! :)
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
echan

Post by echan »

AndrewD wrote:yeah it's more just the desire for something that's tiny, light, and unique.

in that case i should probably get a lotus elise - unique and light...doesn't have nearly the reliability issues of its predecessors.

sounds like i'd need a dedicated garage if i were actually going to get an MG or Triumph. and i definitely don't have that right now!

thanks for the input, everyone! :)
I did forget to put the Lotus on my list of cars. Scooby Do (Mike H.) has an Elise for sale, but it's probably over your budget. You can get a Lotus Europa (non-twin cam) pretty cheap for about $3K on average (I bought mine for $1800). In terms of being unique, I'm sure you'll be the only one on the block to have one. The only problem is that they look like mini El Caminos (not the most flattering thing), but they can also be made to be the fast thing out there, when you make them as light as 1500 pounds and put a Duratec engine in it. You probably still need to store it in a garage to prevent the steel frame from rusting into dust.

Ed
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWyJSF3g6_s

I think this says all that needs to be said about the Europa
ferris

Post by ferris »

I have a 1972 Triumph GT6 that I would probably part with...

The car is in boxes and there is over 2k worth of new parts for the car. The engine has been bored/honed, the cam and crank have been balanced

I have a new floor pan and a new rocker panel that need to be welded on. The old, rusty pieces have been cut out

It it sitting on a new suspension.

It does not have a title ... who knows when that was lost

Also, its in PA

I have been trying to put this car together for the past 10 years but I have no garage and no time right now, so its in my parents garage taking up space and collecting dust

I would love to see it at CDC autoxes ... if I get a house before I am motivated to sell, I am thinking it is in the perfect condition to weld a full cage and make it a track car (this is my 30-60 year plan based on the amount of work that I have put into the car in the last 10 years)
dmyer
Car: 2007 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 770

Post by dmyer »

Well.... I had a 1966 and 1969 MGB - had a lot of fun with those cars... they definately require a lot of routine maintenance which is no gaurantee of un-expected maintenance! :D
I also had a 1968 TR4 IRS (one of last badged in US before TR250) this a a stupid simple car to maintain IMO allthough it was no more reliable... but was more old world cooler IMO than the MG's!

Still have my manuals and can still sync carbs in my sleep! I fully intend to buy another old English car someday.... Jaguar preferably... just because I really like them. Good luck to any who go down this dusty dirty road.
JoeTR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

Don't buy a British car if you can't keep it dry and inside. They rust badly. Vintage Japanese cars (e.g., 240z) may actually be worse in this respect. Pretty much anything before 1985 is going to have rust issues at this point if it was kept outside. European classics (e.g., BMW 2002, Fiats) also rust. You can fix a lot of things, but rust is my personal least favorite one. At this point, an early Miata could be considered a classic and will cost much less. Whatever you do, don't buy a basket case unless your wallet is fat and you need more room in your pocket.
echan

Post by echan »

Here's a cool Japanese Vintage Car posted in Craigslist in Arlington...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 05927.html

Datsun Roadster 1969 - $6000 (N. Arl)
1969 Fairlady 1600 Roadster. New brakes and brake lines, tires, alignment, exhaust, shocks, basecoat/clearcoat paint, carbs rebuilt w/ new floats, aluminum fuel line, clutch and brake cylinders and lines, 105 amp alternator, tune up, belt and hoses. Needs one gauge replaced, temp & fuel (sending units are fine), carpet, and dash pad to finish. Seats are perfect w/ headrests. Have original hubcaps. Removable hardtop. Runs and drives great. Call Billy 703-217-6271

Plus the car qualifies for Small Bore (not sure if it could beat the miatas)
I would paint the car in BRE race colors and it would look even cooler!
AndrewD

Post by AndrewD »

well, i've completely changed my tune and now i'm seriously looking at turbo miatas. much easier to maintain, huge aftermarket, plenty of power, and daily driver-able. this will also require my to sell or trade in my genesis.

i'm actually moving to los angeles for a new job in mid may :( i'll make the late april / early may CDC events though!

given that parking in LA is a nightmare, i figure having something small will be better than having my genesis coupe. not that it's a boat, but a miata is quite a bit smaller.

i've found a few MazdaSpeed Miata's within reasonable distance, and I've been checking out miataturbo.net for cars in the area as well. Plus my roommate is selling his 1996 (non-turbo), but that could be remedied fairly quickly with a bit of elbow grease :D i think i'd like to get one with a turbo already installed though. less installation work, more time driving.
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
echan

Post by echan »

AndrewD wrote:well, i've completely changed my tune and now i'm seriously looking at turbo miatas. much easier to maintain, huge aftermarket, plenty of power, and daily driver-able. this will also require my to sell or trade in my genesis.

i'm actually moving to los angeles for a new job in mid may :(

i've found a few MazdaSpeed Miata's within reasonable distance, and I've been checking out miataturbo.net for cars in the area as well. Plus my roommate is selling his 1996 (non-turbo), but that could be remedied fairly quickly with a bit of elbow grease :D i think i'd like to get one with a turbo already installed though. less installation work, more time driving.
Before you buy anything, you should probably check what the emission requirements are and the regulations of bringing in a non-CA smogg car into the State. It might be a nightmare to bring in a miata with an aftermarket turbo kit. Also check out the registration fees (I've heard they have gotten out of control there - like over $1K to register your car each year). Having an old car that isn't worth anything on paper might actually be a good thing over there.