FRS/BRZ queations

Discuss all things auto related.
C slow

FRS/BRZ queations

Post by C slow »

I am thinking about buying a new FRS but have seen a lot of problems with them on the internet. Have any of you had problems with your cars? Thanks
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Re: FRS/BRZ queations

Post by konkilr »

I think most of the problems with them may be self induced. I have only had to one repair to a BRZ and it was for a noise that didn't cause any driveability issues.

Question: What issues have you heard of from the net? I am unaware of any signifigant issues with them (I am a dealer tech)
jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
ferris

Post by ferris »

21k miles and no issues with mine

Some early cars had some issues that were dealt with by TSB's. I have not seen anything that resulted in major issues, just small annoying things, like condensation in the tail lights
C slow

Post by C slow »

konkilr wrote:I think most of the problems with them may be self induced. I have only had to one repair to a BRZ and it was for a noise that didn't cause any driveability issues.

Question: What issues have you heard of from the net? I am unaware of any signifigant issues with them (I am a dealer tech)
jake

I have seen quite a few issues online. Some do not bother me but there seems to be a few serious ones.
Go to this web site for starters ft86club.comforums/forumdisplay.php?f=72
I guess if none of you have had any serious problems that is great. I will be at this weekends autocross maybe I could take a look at some of yours or even get a ride in one.
This will be my first autocross and I look forward to meeting you all.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

C slow wrote:I have seen quite a few issues online. Some do not bother me but there seems to be a few serious ones.
Go to this web site for starters ft86club.comforums/forumdisplay.php?f=72
I guess if none of you have had any serious problems that is great. I will be at this weekends autocross maybe I could take a look at some of yours or even get a ride in one.
This will be my first autocross and I look forward to meeting you all.
Your link is wrong by the way... I think you meant to point to this thread.... http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthre ... 77&t=11587

Looking at that list I don't really see any issues. Just a bunch of people complaining about rattles in their Subaru/Scion. What did you expect for a car with an MSRP around 26k? It's not a Mercedes. Apparently they've never owned a subaru :lol: My STI has all kinds of drivetrain noises and interior noises. With subaru doing the drivetrain (along with practically everything else on the car) I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that they make all kinds of funny noises.
--Nick D
C slow

Post by C slow »

Sorry this is it ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72 I left out a /
i agree most of the issues in the list you looked could be considered normal. But there are some serious ones you will see if you go to the link above including Siezed engines.
I am not trying to make these cars look bad. I am seriously considering buying one. There seem to be a lot of these cars in this club and if none of you have had problems I will probably get one in the near future.
scheherazade
Car: 09 GTR
CDC Member#: 684

Post by scheherazade »

For everything out there, you'll find people saying it was a lemon, and people saying theirs never had any issues.
I'm more worried about it being made on a Monday or Friday, than about the make/model.

I would consider something a few months used (one of those 'bit off more payment than they could chew so they traded it in on a cheaper model' cars).
Save yourself the off-the-lot devaluation, and still have a new car.

-scheherazade
C slow

Post by C slow »

Sounds good to me.
ferris

Post by ferris »

Because there are relatively so few cars, used ones are not that much cheaper.

The best "bargain" seems to be getting a slightly modified one. You have to find one you like the mods, but they seem to be going for a couple grand under MSRP, with a couple grand in wheels/tires, exhaust whatever, and they are all "adult owned and properly broken in" ... :roll:
scheherazade
Car: 09 GTR
CDC Member#: 684

Post by scheherazade »

Lol @ adult owned and properly broken in.
I feel that eyeroll.

Goes the other way too...

My car was at 18'000 miles before I stopped warming it up to full running temperature before driving... engine AND transmission (now I just let it get 'warm').
Didn't autocross it (or even get on it hard) before that either.

In the end, I can't prove that I take/took mechanical care of the car.
When it comes time to sell, online pictures of my car auto-crossing will make the tire kickers salivate.

-scheherazade
charles huffman
Car: '98 Neon
CDC Member#: 531

Post by charles huffman »

The Nissan owners manual requires you to warm the end up before moving? I thought that old wives tale went by the wayside decades again (pre-fuel injection) with leaned out emission carbs.

Every make can produce a lemon. If you carpool for over 30 years, you'll find some makes touting their quality have produced some (individual) duds

Even with the SU carb on my '74 Austin, the only time I might consider not moving after the oil light went out was if the inside of the windsheild was fogging up. Never had an engine failure or repair attributed a lack of waming up on multiple vehicles with over 100K (two the 150K+) miles on the orginal motor. Must have been Wendesday motors? :-)

As an aerospece engineer working on aircraft engines (jets and pistons) and drive systems (gearboxes), the biggest contributor to mechanical, lubricanted, component degradation (engines, gearboxes, differentials, wheel bearings) is the:

a. Lack of lubricant
b. Contaminated lubricant
c. Wrong lubricant

So, if the previous owner maintains the lubricant quantiy, cleanliness and type, the only real explainations for a failure would be a design issue, a component quality issue or the Monday/Friday assembly issue. :)