Noble is out of commission

Discuss all things auto related.
cutaway

Noble is out of commission

Post by cutaway »

The Noble is going to be out for a while. I think I lost the clutch while tracking it at VIR. I would have been stranded there too if it weren't for Calvin who was there with his S2000. Calvin was nice enough to make room for my gear and give me a ride back to Maryand.

It's a shame too the Noble felt great at the track. It was like a dog being let off it's leash. I was reading a 150mph on the backstraight on the video. Enough downforce to rip the optional front splitter off the front of the car... (I was supposed to take the splitter off before tracking it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaBoRDHkm84&fmt=18

Oh well, I fared much better than my friend who put his Noble into the wall at 149 mph. At least he was OK...

http://www.whitisconsulting.com/vide...ASA07-2008.wmv
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Re: Noble is out of commission

Post by echan »

That's too bad! Is a clutch job hard to do on that car? In any case, I agree a clutch is better than smashing up agaist the wall.

I would say that I know how your friend feels about hitting a wall, but my fix was only a a few dollars in purchasing some hardware (and using a spare fender that I already had).

I'm sure your firend is looking at a lot more $$$ for his car, which would put his feelings in an entirely different category.
cutaway

Post by cutaway »

Yes a clutch job is a major deal. It will involve either pulling the engine, or cutting through the chassis or both. One mod we do for Nobles is cut through the chassis and make part of it remvable so subsequent clutch jobs are easier.

Here is the Youtube link to my friends crash. It doesn't look like the other link is still working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIsLUiEi6Og&fmt=18

Oh yeah and here is a video of his spec miata catching fire at the same event...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTd1UlzxM1g&fmt=18

Fortunely Derek was still all smiles after it was said and done.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

Racing ain't cheap. Apparently, neither is taking a Noble to the track for some hot lapping. Is the front spoiler only for cosmetic purposes? Why would you have to remove it for the very type of driving that could benefit the most from such aerodynamic aids? I understand the Noble uses a Ford V6 engine but what gearbox are you using? Getrag from the European Ford Mondeo? As much of a PITA it must be, I think the generous rear clamshell opening must make it slightly less painful to get the drivetrain out for servicing. Hopefully, you don't have to disassemble the rear suspension also. Since it's not my money it's easy for me to tell you "Do it once and do it right" by making the necessary modifications to the chassis to make subsequent services easier. Does someone make a kit to strengthen the chassis where the section is made? Best of luck!
cutaway

Post by cutaway »

Is the front spoiler only for cosmetic purposes? Why would you have to remove it for the very type of driving that could benefit the most from such aerodynamic aids?
Yes the front splitter on the Noble is only for cosmetic purposes. It was standard on the earlier models, but removed for the track model the M400 which I had,
I asked for them to put it back on mine, because it looked cool and can keep the front clam from scraping.

It is great for autocrossing, because it hits the cones before the clam shell does.

It was a known issue that the thing can come of at speeds > 130. I was hitting 150. Apparently it does make some downforce, but too much to keep it attached...
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Post by Imprezive_04 »

whew, that noble wreck was scary. Almost looks like the white stock car didn't know he was there at all. He didn't give him any room from the very beginning.
Ryan P
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

Imprezive_04 wrote:whew, that noble wreck was scary. Almost looks like the white stock car didn't know he was there at all. He didn't give him any room from the very beginning.
That was not the smartest place to try and pass a guy anyway. The esses are tough enough for 1 car to get through let alone 2 wide. Impatients on the Nobles part.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

Sorry to hear Chris. Guess it's been a rough week for cars.

You can co-drive my car.... Not quite the same as the noble though.
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster