ADVICE on KIT CAR registration / emissions

Discuss all things auto related.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

ADVICE on KIT CAR registration / emissions

Post by hufflepuff »

I'm interested in building the Exomotive Exocet (http://exomotive.com/exocet/), but they don't say anything about emissions requirements / exemption. Perhaps the cobra guys or "locost" builders can offer some advice?

The car uses a tube frame plopped down on the miata underpinnings. It has no windshield or windshield wipers, but will have lights, horn, mirrors, fenders.

From: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/I ... 00-31T.htm
How do I title a kit car?

A kit car consists of a body, steering system, frame, and related accessories intended for assembly with an excess or salvage engine, transmission drive line, rear suspension, rear axle and related accessories. A kit car has the outward appearance of a Historic or Street Rod vehicle (though it is not titled as such).

You can apply for a title in person at the Glen Burnie branch office. Typically, you will need to submit the following documents:

•Proof of ownership – The ownership document must be for the vehicle frame used in building the kit car:
◦If the frame is new (kits usually have a new frame included), the certificate of origin included with the kit is required.
◦If the frame is from a used vehicle, a title for the vehicle in your name or a title that has been properly assigned to you is required.
◦If the frame is from a salvaged vehicle, a salvage certificate in your name or a certificate that has been properly assigned to you is required.
◦Other documents that may establish ownership are:

•Registration document and bill of sale – ONLY if the state from which the frame was obtained did not issue a title (usually because of the vehicle’s age).

•Sales receipts

•Application – You may use either the back of the Maryland title, if applicable, or the Application for Certificate of Title to request the new title (and registration, if applicable). When the Maryland title is used as the application form, complete the section entitled Application for Title and Registration.

•Proof of purchase price – You must submit the bills of sale and/or receipts for all parts and labor.

•Odometer disclosure statement - You may use the manufacturer’s certificate of origin or the title to document the mileage of the vehicle. A separate odometer disclosure statement may also be submitted. Usually the mileage is “0” unless the frame was taken from a used/salvaged vehicle

•Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (if applicable) - A new vehicle identification number (VIN) may be assigned to the completed vehicle. The Maryland State Police will install the new VIN plate after they have inspected it.

•Maryland safety inspection certificate - A safety inspection is required if the vehicle is being registered at the same time (most cases).
Your title will be mailed to you. If you also register the vehicle (most cases), your registration card, license plates and expiration date stickers can be provided immediately when you apply in person to the MVA; otherwise, these items also will be mailed to you.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
hufflepuff

Re: ADVICE on KIT CAR registration / emissions

Post by hufflepuff »

Actually, it sounds like this car would also satisfy the description of a "reconstructed vehicle" (MVA website):

How do I title a reconstructed vehicle?
A reconstructed vehicle is a vehicle that is created by the unique alteration of a standard vehicle, by someone other than the manufacturer.

If it turns out it needs to meet MD/VA emissions, i could probably figure a way to keep all the Miata emissions equipment legal.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

The following are VEIP Exempt Vehicles:

1976 or older
Vehicles weighing more than 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
Vehicles powered solely by diesel or electric
Motorcycle
Vehicles registered as a farm truck, farm truck tractor or farm area vehicle
Historic or Antique vehicles
New vehicles for the first 24 months and qualified hybrids for the first 36 months after titling and registration
Fire apparatus owned or leased by the State of Maryland, a county, municipality, volunteer fire department or rescue squad
Ambulances currently exempted will remain exempt
Vehicles registered to senior citizens over 70 or vehicles registered with hard metal disable tags and who drive 5,000 miles per year or less (if co-owned, both owners must qualify for the waiver) can apply for a waiver for the balance of the two year cycle.  Mileage must be recertified every two years to continue to received the waiver
Vehicles registered as a Class N street rod vehicle
A military vehicle owned by the federal government and used for tactical, combat, or relief operations, or for training for these operations
Vehicles registered as a Class H school vehicle or Class P passenger bus
silver 681
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

Another reference.

http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_MD.pdf

I'm also wondering if it could be registered as a "1974 Caterham/Lotus Seven". I could get "regular" plates (without historic car restrictions on usage) and still be emissions exempt.
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

ericw wrote:
Eric, do you have Historic plates on your Miata (or have you tried)? Ours isn't old enough yet, but I'm wondering what "substantially modified" means. The InterwebZ provided no solid answers.
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

JayPar wrote:
ericw wrote:
Eric, do you have Historic plates on your Miata (or have you tried)? Ours isn't old enough yet, but I'm wondering what "substantially modified" means. The InterwebZ provided no solid answers.
My 92 integra has had historic plates from the start. It is gutted with a roll bar. I think if the unibody and drivetrain are almost oem it shouldn't be "substantially modified". Haven't been hassled yet.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

JayPar wrote:
ericw wrote:
I do. Mine is a 90. I'm not sure what constitutes modified but they never see the car so...
silver 681