Body Shop for Miata Rust Repair - Frederick/Rockville

Discuss all things auto related.
vettegirl
Car: 1996 Miata, 2011 Corvette
CDC Member#: 963

Body Shop for Miata Rust Repair - Frederick/Rockville

Post by vettegirl »

Looking for a shop that will do a good job repairing some rocker panel rust on the Miata. Doesn't have to look perfect, but needs to be a sound and solid repair (no slapping in some bondo and calling it good). Anyone have any recommendations that won't cost me more than the car?
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Re: Body Shop for Miata Rust Repair - Frederick/Rockville

Post by earl998 »

CDC member Joe MacInnes has a body shop outside of Frederick. He's JMAC on this forum, but I doubt if he would see a message here. I'm sure Ed Chan can hook you up with his contact info. :D
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Did you find anyone? I think I may tackle the rocker rust on my Miata this year.
vettegirl

Post by vettegirl »

Yep, we got the repair done about a month or so ago. Got it done at the Fitzgerald Auto Mall body shop in Frederick over by the Emissions Testing station. They did a fabulous job and we're 1/3 the price over everyone else that gave me a quote. Message me if you want their info. I did end up buying the quarter panel skins an then they cut them, cleaned out the old parts, welded in the patch panels, sanded and painted. They even applied the funky textured paint. My only complaint was that there was a rubber cone streak that stopped abruptly at the repair area :-) ps. If you've ever seen my Corvette you'd know how picky I am. So a good review from me is really saying something.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Wait, did you say it was 1/3 more...or cheaper? Ballpark...cost? You can text me if you don't want to post it:

301-529-2831

Thanks!
-Ed
vettegirl

Post by vettegirl »

They charged us around $1000. Every other quote was $3k or more. A do it yourself job would be cheaper of course but this was done with correct galvanized metal for structural integrity instead of sanding and filling with bondo. We don't have any welding experience so we could not have done the job ourselves. I should mention that the damage on our car was limited to the rear quarter panel area and did not extend to the rockers. Also there was little rust damage to the inside portions of the panel, it was confined to the outer skin of the rocker. This car is otherwise rust free and I have also plastidipped the entire car now. I did the plastidip job myself.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

vettegirl wrote:Also there was little rust damage to the inside portions of the panel, it was confined to the outer skin of the rocker.
This is pretty common from what I've seen.
--Nick D