D.C. Historic Tags

Discuss all things auto related.
Merkdem

D.C. Historic Tags

Post by Merkdem »

Hey everyone!

Im new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had any insite on Historic Registration for D.C.
I have an 89 Merkur Xr4ti that im bringing over from MD. My last emissions test did not pass in MD, but now that im moving to DC was wondering if i can register it as historic without an emissions inspection. What do i have to do to get the tags? Any way to avoid it for historic? Anyone been down this road?
Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Merkdem
Tedzilla
Car: '58 MGA Coupe '04 Porsche
CDC Member#: 1

Re: D.C. Historic Tags

Post by Tedzilla »

Hi and welcome to CDC,
My understanding is that you will need a valid DC inspection when the car is registered as historic.
There are 2 categories of historic tags, 1 gets inspected every 2 years the higher tier doesn't. The criteria is on the DC DMV site.
Good luck,
Ted
Merkdem

Post by Merkdem »

Thanks for the welcome! Happy i found you gguys.

I was affraid of that. When i failed emissions in MD they told me to just go make it historic and that i wouldn't have to deal with it. Was hoping that something similar would be true in DC.
I wonder what the inspections entail. When i spoke with someone at the inspection office they weren't very clear.

Anyway, thanks again!
yardy8301
Car: 90 Miata
CDC Member#: 338

Post by yardy8301 »

http://dmv.dc.gov/page/historical-vehicle-criteria

This area may be to your benefit. Though still isnt clear whether you would need emissions testing or not:
No historic motor vehicle shall be required to achieve or comply with any equipment, material, or design standard which it was not legally required to achieve when it was manufactured.

No historic motor vehicle shall be required to achieve or comply with any performance standard with which it was not legally required to achieve or comply when it was manufactured. Performance standards shall include, but not be limited to, standards or requirements for exhaust and noise emissions and for fuel usage.
Merkdem

Post by Merkdem »

Thanks Yardy!

Yes! Still isn't very clear although the more info the merrier. I appreciate that.
Do we have any DC historic tag holders in the house?
Anyone gone through it?

Thanks again!