What to do with my decaying Miata...

Discuss all things auto related.
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

What to do with my decaying Miata...

Post by JoeTR6 »

The drivetrain and hydraulics are in good shape, but the body is starting to look positively British.

This may be the answer: http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/

Kind of pricey, but I like this kit over some of the others I've seen. I know a home-made Locost would be cheaper, but I could have this thing running by the end of next season. Yeah, I know an S2000 motor will out everything a Miata motor (especially the 1.6l), but this thing only weighs 1300 lbs. And there's always forced induction.

My other option is sell the Miata and build a TR6 with a BMW 3.0 liter I6.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: What to do with my decaying Miata...

Post by kyle.bowker »

If you're looking to sell I'm looking to buy another Miata ;) I want to build an auto-x/ track day car.

But I do like your idea of the FM Westfield.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

JoeTR6 wrote:The drivetrain and hydraulics are in good shape, but the body is starting to look positively British.

My other option is sell the Miata and build a TR6 with a BMW 3.0 liter I6.
A German motor in a BRITISH CAr !!! Rollover WInston Churhill !

whatever your problems with the Miata may be, I'm sure it's nothing that a tub of Bondo, some fiberglass filler, sheet metal, and pop rivets can't take care of !

G
JoeTR6

Post by JoeTR6 »

Gonz wrote:A German motor in a BRITISH CAr !!! Rollover WInston Churhill !
The Triumph company was started by a German named Sigfried Bettmann. So I doubt he would be doing much rolling. :) Then, consider that the TR6 was basically a TR4 restyled by the German firm Karmann (compare the rear end to an E36 BMW sometime). Besides, BMW owns the rights to the Triumph name, and there has been much rumor of a future revival of the marque. I think they're missing an opportunity to make a really nice, lightweight (by today's standards) roadster that would fit between the MINI and Z4 in price. Just keep freaking Bangle away from the drawing board, please.
JoeTR6

Post by JoeTR6 »

JoeTR6 wrote:Besides, BMW owns the rights to the Triumph name, and there has been much rumor of a future revival of the marque.
Apparently the rumor is still alive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoe ... iumph.html