hard dog roll bar

Discuss all things auto related.
ferris

hard dog roll bar

Post by ferris »

My "new" HCHDDD roll bar will arrive tonight. I know a couple people at the CDC have installed these bars and I was wondering if anyone still has the foot long drill bit I need to mount the bar.

I have read the miata.net installation instructions, but if anyone else has any tips I would appreciate it. I am expecting the install to take 8+ hours based on others comments.

Thanks for the help
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Re: hard dog roll bar

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

I installed mine w/o using a special drillbit. I can't remember exactly how though. I think I used an angle drill with an 1/8" bit and drilled down through the top, then finished by drilling UP from below. It's a pretty straightforward install. Most difficult part was trimming the plastic interior panels so they look and fit nice afterwards.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

I've got a 12" bit from my installs (I think we talked at the bowie autox last weekend?). For the rear bars I'd recommend drilling the slotted hole from the top, and then bolting on the backing plate and drilling the rest of the holes from underneath the car, using the backing plate as a guide. Otherwise you can get some alignment issues with some of the holes ending up inside of the frame rail that's right next to where the backing plate mounts.
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

the other racedayvinyl.com guy
ferris

Post by ferris »

milkmandan - Yeah, I did talk with you about the install. Are you planning on going to the 29th event ... maybe I could borrow the drill bit then

I am in the rockville area, if you are not too far I can pick it up as well. Idealy I would have the bar installed ASAP.

Thanks for all the help
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

I'm down in Alexandria, but I'll be at the autox on the 29th. Just send me a PM beforehand and I'll bring it.
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

the other racedayvinyl.com guy