Timing trailer???

Discuss all things auto related.
ldstang50
Car: Constantly Breaking Evo
CDC Member#: 0

Timing trailer???

Post by ldstang50 »

When I was actively auto-x and helping out with you guys, I remember the 2 things that took us so long was setting up and breaking down of the tent and all the equipment. Another problem we had was on a windy day or rainy day, just being under the tent the paper would blow around or get wet and then there were the computers.
I've been running with a group called CART CT up here. Over the winter a few guys got together and built a trailer. The trailer is really nice. The front of the trailer has the front open with windows and smaller windows on each side. This is where the timers and scorers sit. There is ample room for 3 people sitting and two standing behind them. Behind them in another room is the storage area...cones, wires, timing equipment, etc.
The leader of the build team wrote up an article of how they built it and what they used.
Believe me, this trailer makes life a heck of a lot easier. Getting set up is a matter of running the wires out for timing and hooking up the color coded quick connects.
The downsides of having a trailer with the lots CDC uses, is it will need be parked on pavement so less course room. Is there a truck big enough to tow it, I'm sure Ed's Dodge gets enough of a workout starting in the morning let alone pulling a trailer.
Here is the write up....

The following list is what we established as our requirements, needs and desires.

1, A trailer suitable to be towed from various sites by a member with a ¾ ton pickup with the appropriate towing accessories and experience.

2, A unit large enough to store all of our equipment, supplies and trophies and an office section for doing the timing and scoring.

3, Allow for secure storage of the club’s materials.

4, Allow for the quick setup and dismantling of equipment for these events.

5, Provide a comfortable environment for the registration and conducting of the events.

6, Make it attractive and a visual statement of our club’s dedication to its members.

To elaborate on each of these items I will attempt to break down the work that was done to satisfy them.

1. We were able to secure a tandem axle 16’ camping trailer and assessed its viability.

It was decided to remove the box structure and only use the frame. The weight rating for the frame is 7000# and we were confident the new box would be within that limit.

It now has a GVW of 6300#. Weight distribution was of concern and the layout of equipment was distributed for a 10% tongue weight.

2. We made a few adjustments and concluded we could construct a 17’ long X 8’ wide X 8’ high box on that frame. Approximately 9’ was dedicated to storage at the rear portion and 8’ for the office section. Vision was a priority, so panoramic vinyl sliding double pane windows were chosen. We reused the entry door and jam from the original unit because of its size and condition. A full width laminate countertop at desk height as well as various cabinetry was used. Roofing is a continuous sheet of EPDM roofing membrane.

3. To provide a secure enclosure it was determined that we should have as few openings and locks as possible. The main entry door with an entry lock as well as a 4’ wide overhead door are the only access portals. The overhead door locks from the interior and an interior passage door accesses the storage room from the office area. The windows are covered with aluminum diamond plate panels that latch from the interior as well and hinge out to provide sun shading and keep the windows free from spotting during rain. Only one key is required to gain entry. All items that are transported have been designated a marked area to ease retuning them and securing for transport.

4, The most important aspect of the overall design was to allow the efficient and quickest setup and break down of items for events. We were used to interrupting the registration process in the morning with connection of wires and cycling and testing of equipment. This was eliminated by providing a covered electrical access panel at the exterior of the front of the trailer and terminating all of the required electrical connections there. It allows us to connect our sensors, PA speakers, Air Conditioner generator input and future use items without disruption to the office area. Once we open the overhead door we have uninterrupted access to the storage area. Also of concern was the main electrical connection to provide generator hookup for 110volt and 12 volt hookup without fear of misconnection. The 12v system has a deep cycle battery in reserve as back up and is constantly under charge during running of the generator. The 12 v system powers the displays and timing head. It was decided to modify a standard 7 round trailer light plug/receptacle to make the connection bulletproof and quick, this works flawlessly.

We also utilize approximately 120 16”traffic cones for course layout and control areas. We used to store them loose, in our old trailer and get a club member’s car trailer to haul them around during setup and then again during breakdown, then restack them back in the trailer at the end of the day. This was not an efficient use of manpower and storage. It was solved by purchasing and slightly modifying a 36”X60” 4 wheeled garden cart. We now have the capability for 2 members to setup and deploy as well as retrieve all cones and keep them contained for transport. We made a list of all items needed to be carried and paired down were necessary as well as included if needed. Everything carried is required and has a place.

Our numeric displays are permanently connected and are hidden behind casement type panels at the rear and sides so as to eliminate the constant connection and reconnection. This eliminates time and possible problems. Where ever possible, a device or component was designed to be permanently connected or mounted. This includes the computer system, timing system, monitors, copier, FM transmitter and power backup system. All paperwork, office supplies and forms are stored in appropriate marked areas. All cabinetry is lockable for transport.

5, The running of these events demands a great deal of concentration and privacy while working during timing and scoring. We have taken steps to make this as enjoyable as possible. The inclusion of air-conditioning was done as well as the before mentioned double pane windows, adjustable height stools with foot rests and seat backs, ceiling lighting, window awnings (diamond plate panels raise and fasten to provide this feature). The interior is trimmed with light colored paneling, trim and vinyl flooring. A screen door and sliding windows are provided for air circulation on cooler days, and a portable propane heater is available for colder days. Large removable steps for entry and exit ease. A Lexan covered information board visible to the outside at the rear of the trailer that displays a cork board for posting of the run results, battery powered wall clock and run number display was installed. It is accessible from the interior so the timing people can post the results and change run numbers and post information without having to go outside during inclement weather. An FM transmitting system is installed and can be tuned to various FM stations and tied into our PA system to allow anyone with a radio to monitor the current results for the timed runs as they are announced.

6, In order to make the unit as visually appealing as possible it has durable vinyl siding applied in a two tone color scheme as well as the diamond plate coverings for the windows, electrical port cover and threshold at the overhead door. New wheels and tires were purchased and installed and look great as well as being rated for the loading of the unit, and a spare tire is stored at the tongue and covered for protection from the sun. The frame was scraped and painted prior to construction, and the trailer brakes were checked and rewired. All the exterior lighting is new. Four scissor jacks are strategically mounted at the frame for stabilization of the unit upon setup and retract for towing.

Items we currently have stored in the rear area are as follows.

2 Honda EU 2000 I generators (these units are extremely quiet and effective, run time is approximately 6 hours), cone cart w/120 16”cones, modified hand cart w/40 cones for traffic control, 5 gal. container for generator fuel, folding table, folding event entry sign, sensors and wires for timing system, 4 fire extinguishers and red flags for shag stations, adjustable draw bar for towing, ramps for deploying carts, shelving for storage of all CART trophies (glass mugs, approximately 12 cases), CART merchandise (T-shirts, hats, collectables), 4 exterior speakers on collapsible tripods with their wiring, tool box with spare sensors, tools and misc supplies, cone marking sticks, box of large trash bags for debris removal, 4 wide push brooms for coarse sweeping, small broom and dust pan for interior cleanup, umbrella for staging personnel during rainy weather, hand cranks for leveling jacks and tongue jack (tongue jack is electrically powered with manual back up), compartment for FM antenna and American flag, propane heater and spare cylinders,

Front office area contains the following items,

PC, 2 permanently mounted flat panel display monitors for timing and reporting, timing system head, 3 office chairs as described, FM transmitter, AC unit, printer, mounted small oscillating fan, foldable counter area for classification and number assignment, lockable cabinetry at walls and under counters for storage (of all documents, paperwork, forms, calculator, office supplies), microphone for PA, UPS system, all wiring is done in raceway conduit for modification if required, small waist basket and liners for debris removal, flash light.

As one can see, this project was very involved and undertake by a team of dedicated and proud members to hopefully satisfy the needs of the Club for many years to come. We have discovered that as much as was planned there is still room for improvement. We are constantly reassessing the unit and making small but necessary changes as are warranted. Currently under consideration are changes to the FM transmitting antenna to permanently mount it and allow for folding during transport in lieu of disassembly and storage. Future improvements may include backup sensors ready for immediate use in case of failure or accident, docking bay/charging station for 2-way radio storage, solar panel for charging of battery 12V system and 2-way radio charging.

Actual costs for construction were about $5,500.00 including supplies. All labor was performed by the team.

We were also fortunate to have received many donations of materials for this project. Oxford Paint and Hardware were especially generous as always. I believe their contribution alone was approximately $400.00

Insurance and registration requirements were now a concern and have been addressed as the trailer is fully registered and covered for itself and its contents.

Now for the one thing we have been powerless to avoid or overcome……….

Keeping the damn thing neat and clean is a problem, and will continue to be a problem.
Under the hood of a broken Evo, thinking its fast, driving your car
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Re: Timing trailer???

Post by BugBomb »

That's a great idea. I really like how things can be permanently mounted/wired in the trailer, like the number displays. I know the club spends a lot of time setting up and tearing down at each event. A lot of that could be simplified.

If CDC decides to do anything like this, I would be happy to help in any way possible. I work at a lumber yard and I can get many materials at cost. My job involves designing structures so I could possibly be helpful with that as well.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

That sounds like quite an underaking and an impressive set up.

HOwever, I doubt we have the resources for this. We bought a used trailer which is a HUGE upgrade over the previous "Orange Van" arrangement we had. Ours is, I believe 10 x 8. I don't know where we'd find space to store a 17 foot trailer if we had one. I would bet the storage rental fees would go up.

Having things already put together as sub-assemblies and ready to deploy at the event location however is a workable idea. Not sure if we have areas were we could take advantage of that.

From what I have seen at the events, the course and timing set up seems to be done well before the Tech inspection, registration and drivers' meeting are done. It also starts earlier too.

If we could find a way to get everyone through Tech and reigstration quicker that would help. In the afternoon, the tear down time isn't a big deal as the only ones hanging around for it are the organizers, and THANKFULLY a few other volunteers. It just depends on how many organizers are there if it's going to take 15 minutes or 1/2 an hour.

You guys are right about the parking space for a 17 foot trailer. One of the best improvements we have made was when Joe Seward designed a wireless timing system for the club, and allowed us to move the timing out of the way of the course.

Maybe down the road the club will have the money to do something like a big timing trailer, but right now I wouldn't think it's possible.

GP
ProDarwin
Car: Who knows?
CDC Member#: 242

Post by ProDarwin »

If you guys need help... I'm an engineer at a company that designs and builds broadcast vehicles (http://www.bickfordvehicles.com/). I have access to a full sheet metal shop, and I can easily handle doing all the drawings/3d modeling of said trailer. We actually do a lot of custom trailers for the fbi....

Travis
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

Just revisited this discussion with Ed C during this past AX event.

Even easier would be to buy an used full size passenger van with OEM windows. Remove the bench seating and permanently mount a counter top to the left side window area. Since this is for AX use only, seats can be the fold up type that we currently use.

since we will be serving Gatorade in those blue coolers, mount them one on each of the rear doors and swing them open for use, no more lifting or getting them dirty by placing them on the ground.

All wireless antenna can be fixed to the roof or higher reception position. Cabling can be channeled out of the windows.

The beauty besides not having to load and unload, connect and disconnect the equipment is that we can park it on tarmac, grass or anywhere we need to without the fear of rain, sun, shadow, wind, snow, sand or complaining AXers as well as having the van be the backup battery.

I've seen a decently used passenger van be as cheap as $3000 and they can still tow a decent trailer too.

After the events, most things should be able to be packed right inside of the van itself and any one could drive it without the fear of the trailer attached. Especially if this was a extended passenger van.

Also, we can decorate the CDC group right on it for visibility and advertisement.

Ed C, I think this is the easiest way to go.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

I would also recommend running a small generator instead of using the batteries you guys currently use.

No more power than you use for the timing equipment, ect you could probably get away with a 1500 - 2000 btu unit.

They are very small and quiet and very portable. You might have to add fuel to it after about 4 hours or so but most can be filled while still running.

I have done this on mine very often when camping.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
ProDarwin

Post by ProDarwin »

I'll be the first to say that sitting more than 2 people gets very uncomfortable. Especially ingress/egress. Not to mention the amount of storage available in anything short of a Dodge sprinter is going to be laughable in comparison to the trailer the club currently has.

I'd say converting the trailer would be better.

Some suggestions though:

Secure 4 or 5 automotive batteries in parallel in the front of the trailer (vented of course) and permanently fix the inverter to the wall. Wire the batteries into the tow vehicle's power supply. The tow vehicle can always be started if they run low, and will re-charge the batteries when driving to and from each event. A generator would work well, but I think there are many other places the club would rather dump that kind of cash.

Cut a 3'H x 6'L hole in the street side of the trailer and put a door there with gas springs. Open the door and you have a window, shielded from rain. With very good visibility.

Below said door/window/opening install a fold-up table.

Now as soon as the cones are emptied from the trailer you have your workspace.
Travis
DrSeuss

Post by DrSeuss »

At the last AutoX school I was at, they used a really small Honda generator to run the timing equipment. This thing was about the size of most desktop computers.
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

If you are going to run a trailer run marine deep cycle batteries they are more adapt to the up and down of the cycle of use and recharge.
I can usually get 2 years out of a set on my camping trailer.

You can get a small Honda generator for around $1500 nowadays and you can find them used on Craigslist and Ebay usually cheaper than that.

Anyone with a connection to Coleman Powersports or Criswell Powersports can probably get you a killer deal also.
jmac

Post by jmac »

Sitting inside is great for nasty weather. We could put plugs on the side for power for cables. We could also run the antena for the timing lights.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

Sitting inside will also be incredibly hot during summer months.
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

kyle.bowker wrote:Sitting inside will also be incredibly hot during summer months.
I was thinking that when they were talking about it yesteray. They only way around it would be to put a roof mounted A/C unit in it. Then you need a bigger generator to run that also.
ProDarwin

Post by ProDarwin »

Put a couple fans in there and it won't be too bad. Its is in the shade after all.

Rooftop A/C units are kinda pricey and draw quite a bit of power.
Travis
FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

A cheesy old camper would work well, especially if it already had the A/C and such. An awning on the side of a van/camper would be useful. Tad bit more secure than a ez-up in the wind...
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster