miata "racing" seats

Discuss all things auto related.
ferris

miata "racing" seats

Post by ferris »

Now that I finally got my rollbar installed I am thinking about getting a good quality seat in the car with a real harness. I was wondering if you guys had a good cheap option. I want something that will work with a 6-pt harness as well as provide protection in a rear and side impact. It doesn't have to adjust, and I assume I will have to bolt it to the floor to get the required clearance if I wanted to do any more serious track days.

Basically, I want it all, and I want it cheap.

Let me know what you think.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: miata "racing" seats

Post by kyle.bowker »

Kirkey aluminum seat. There are several models available. You just missed out on this set that sold for $300 shipped but even new they aren't too pricey if you stick with the basic models. They're ugly but nothing gets you lower short of molding a bag seat to the floorpan.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

I have Kirkey Roadrace Intermediates in the cobra and love them. My original plan was to swap them in for auto-x and track events, and use the stock seats on the street. In the end, I like them so much I just leave them in all the time. Pretty comfy.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I love my Kirkey's in the Cobra too. For the Miata I was thinking one of the ones that doesn't have the big shoulder wings. Most use the Economy, pro drag, or these, and they are pretty cheap and easier to fit in the car.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KIR-39700/
ferris

Post by ferris »

Thanks for all the help.

I actually really like the look of the intermediate road race seat, but it is a little more pricey. I was also thinking that I might want to get a HANS device some time in the future. I am assuming that I will want to do some more serious SCCA racing or time trials or something similar when I get better and my car gets a little more setup. I know that some of the higher end seats ($900+) say they are HANS device compatible. What does this actually mean, and is this something that I should worry about.