Miata Brake Pad Recommendation

Discuss all things auto related.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Miata Brake Pad Recommendation

Post by david.valeri »

So I will need to replace the pads and rotors some time next season. I plan to hit a track day or two so they definitely need the refresh before that happens. I already have some slabs of cast iron, but I don't know what pads to put with them. With the Integra I tried Axxis Ultimates but they didn't survive a trip to the track on street tires. I also tried Hawk Blues, but they were far too much pad for the Integra on street tires.

I plan to track the Miata on RA-1s. The car's previous owner said the car has Axxis Ultimates on the front and that they went through a track day. Based on my experience with the Integra, I'm not convinced; however, the Miata is a lighter and less powerful car. Who out there has experience tracking a Miata and what pads do you recommend? Does anyone have experience using different compounds front and rear?

Noise doesn't bother me so long as it isn't atrocious.
Dust is OK, but I'd like something that doesn't make paint murdering dust like the Hawk Blues.
Streetable is a must.
milkmandan

Re: Miata Brake Pad Recommendation

Post by milkmandan »

don't use rockauto $5 discount organic street pads lol.

I've tracked my NB on Axxis Ultimates several times and never had any problems, with non-sport brakes on street tires. The Miata Challenge car is getting Carbotech XP10/8's for this season, though.
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

the other racedayvinyl.com guy
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

You could try Hawk HP (very similar to the Axxis Ultimates on the street and maybe a little bit better at dealing with the heat) but I think you'll get the best experience with a set of dedicated track pads and rotors.
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Post by konkilr »

I would give the ultimates another shot. I had them on my teg and they were ok but really easy to fade and difficult to get cool. I have ultimates on my RS now and they are not the same as the teg. They take a lot more before fade and seem to cool quickly. The only issue I have with them is on a rainy day while cruising on the highway they get too cold and take a second before they work. I had the same problem with the teg also.

jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

I have Axxis Ultimates on my miata and like them. I've done track days at VIR, Summit, and Beaverun without abnormal wear. Also ran them on One Lap a few years ago. I think they're a pretty good dual purpose pad for a stock-powered miata. If you're doing some serious track days, I'd look at Carbotech XP8. I ran them on the cobra for a few years and they rock (I've since gone down to the Carbotech AX6 on the cobra because I autocross it more than I track it).

Only warning on the Axxis Ultimates (or XP8's) is they dust like a mofo. Not corrosive as far as I can tell, but your wheels will be black after a few days of even normal street driving.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I have run a set of Hawk HP+ on my Miata with R compounds for three years. I love them, they work for autocross, the street and are great at the track.
FredK