Air compressor

Discuss all things auto related.
mf44

Air compressor

Post by mf44 »

Hi guys,

So I'm sick of those cheapo air compressors you can get at any auto parts store. I've been through 3 of them. One an internal fuse blew, it wasn't replaceable. Next one had fuses, but the motor burned out after a few uses. 3rd one, I don't even know why it's not working anymore. But anyways, any suggestions for one to get? I can't get something huge as I need to lug it back and forth to events, and I live in an apartment with no garage.

My other option is to get an air tank and fill it at the gas station. Would a 5 gallon tank from Sears do a good job? This seems like the best idea to me...keep it simple stupid! My only question is: is 5 gallons enough to fill tires up for an autox? I'm clueless here.

Thanks!

Mike
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Re: Air compressor

Post by konkilr »

We use a CO2 tank. Lasts way longer than an air tank, is smaller, and can be used with airtools also. Visit www.powertank.com for more info.

jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
mf44

Post by mf44 »

Where would I get one of those filled? It seems like I'd need higher pressures than I could get from a gas station fill station? Or maybe I'm missing something... ?
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

mf44 wrote:Where would I get one of those filled? It seems like I'd need higher pressures than I could get from a gas station fill station? Or maybe I'm missing something... ?
Any paitball shop can fill a C02 or N2 tank for you. Also places that sell kegs should have it. There are also some suppliers of compressed gas in the NoVa area as well.

The C02 tanks are way to expensive for me though.

I went to Wallmart and got the $20 ~10 gallon compressed air tank. It holds enough to air up 4 205/50/15 tires from the low 30s to over 40PSI with air left over. You will want to find a local gas station with free air or that will let you use the shop air hose since the coin operated machines don't do much above 100PSI and the tanks can hold 125-150PSI.

You can also shop Craig's list for a used compressor so you don't have to go to the gas station all the time. I picked one up for under $75 and it was worth it to not have to make the trip to get the tank filled and I wanted some air tools.
DrSeuss

Post by DrSeuss »

I use a 5 gallon tank. It works fine for tweaking pressures. I was able to barely fill 7 275/40R17 tires from 20psi up to 35 psi. But if you're just adding 5 psi, it should be fine.
moto-ufo
Car: 2006 Mazda MX-5
CDC Member#: 492

Post by moto-ufo »

mf44 wrote:Hi guys,

So I'm sick of those cheapo air compressors you can get at any auto parts store. I've been through 3 of them. One an internal fuse blew, it wasn't replaceable. Next one had fuses, but the motor burned out after a few uses. 3rd one, I don't even know why it's not working anymore. But anyways, any suggestions for one to get? I can't get something huge as I need to lug it back and forth to events, and I live in an apartment with no garage.

My other option is to get an air tank and fill it at the gas station. Would a 5 gallon tank from Sears do a good job? This seems like the best idea to me...keep it simple stupid! My only question is: is 5 gallons enough to fill tires up for an autox? I'm clueless here.

Thanks!

Mike

I have this one (I think it's the same model). http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00073-Heavy ... 507&sr=8-1

I bought it on Amazon. I've been using it for about a year now and it's great. It's pretty fast, the power cord is nice and long, and the compressor feels solidly built.
-Brian
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

moto-ufo wrote:
mf44 wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks!

Mike

I have this one (I think it's the same model). http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00073-Heavy ... 507&sr=8-1

I bought it on Amazon. I've been using it for about a year now and it's great. It's pretty fast, the power cord is nice and long, and the compressor feels solidly built.
wow, that would looks really nice. I bought one at target a few months ago and it's already dead :( I might have to try that one...
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

I have a little crappy 5 gal air tank I picked up at (insert store here cause I cant recall) and it does the job. Leaked a bit but I rebuilt the seals and reinforced them and now it works like a champ.