Where/How to Buy Piloti Shoes

Discuss all things auto related.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Where/How to Buy Piloti Shoes

Post by david.valeri »

or any other racing/specialty shoe that isn't stocked at your local Foot Locker?

Where did you buy them and who has them stocked so I can actually try on a couple of varieties?
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Re: Where/How to Buy Piloti Shoes

Post by earl998 »

David, OG Racing in Sterling,Va. www.ogracing.com
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

earl998 wrote:David, OG Racing in Sterling,Va. http://www.ogracing.com
I'll give them a call to see what they have, but their Web site only lists limited sizes and styles for the Piloti brand.
ferris

Post by ferris »

I got mine off of buy.com or amazon.com.

I just googled for the cheapest/last years model. You can't try them on is the only issue.
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

david.valeri wrote:or any other racing/specialty shoe that isn't stocked at your local Foot Locker?

Where did you buy them and who has them stocked so I can actually try on a couple of varieties?
I have a set of Piloti's and a set of Puma Fernando Alonso edition's. Both are great to drive in and both suck horribly for everything else and will cause ankle pain if you try to wear them all day at the track. I'd say nab whatever is cheapest cause you'll probably only want to wear the shoe for an hour at a time max.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

I tried on some Pumas the other day. I needed something like a size 14 to fit the width of my foot. I normally wear a size 10 so I don't know what was up with the Pumas. Unfortunately DSW didn't have anything that big.

Are your Pilotis real race shoes or are they from the touring collection? It seems most folks wear them like regular shoes without complaint.

From the sounds of it, I may just stick with the $10 pair or shoes I found at Kohls 4 years ago that work just fine. I find that normal running shoes get caught on the side of the gas pedal when trying to heel toe.
ferris

Post by ferris »

I got mine for like $30 shipped to my house. They are comfertable for all day at auto-x. But I don't think mine are full race shoes and are not super thin.

The edges and the bottom are rounded for better heal-toe ... not like this is an issue at auto-x. But my basketball sneakers weren't comfertable at all in the miata. I kept grabbing the gas while braking and I didn't think I would have any chance of driving Mike's lotus in those shoes.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

I had a set of pilotis and didn't really like them either. the sole was really thick and I didn't really thing they make very good driving shoes....

I'm on my second set of pumas and like them a lot. it takes some time to get used to them, for the first week I felt like I was rolling over the edge of the sole, but you get used to them. at least I did.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

david.valeri wrote:I tried on some Pumas the other day. I needed something like a size 14 to fit the width of my foot. I normally wear a size 10 so I don't know what was up with the Pumas. Unfortunately DSW didn't have anything that big.

Are your Pilotis real race shoes or are they from the touring collection? It seems most folks wear them like regular shoes without complaint.

From the sounds of it, I may just stick with the $10 pair or shoes I found at Kohls 4 years ago that work just fine. I find that normal running shoes get caught on the side of the gas pedal when trying to heel toe.
My Pilotis are the SCCA Speed Challenge editions.

http://www.justracing.com/features/2007 ... ge_pilotis
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

I wear some Polo shoes by Ralph Lauren. They are cheap, have thin soles and are small so they work well for driving. Really comfortable except if you do lots of walking.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

i wear my old wrestling shoes... thin soles, very tight fitting makes them nice for heel-toe at the track.

but when they die i am considering piloti or puma or the like.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
mp923

Post by mp923 »

Drive barefoot. Just kidding. I saw a good selection of pilotis at the shop next to concessions at new jersey motorsports park. I also really like the Puma store in NYC (over all the other puma stores i've ever visited)--for pumas though.
purplepeopleeater

Post by purplepeopleeater »

Sportsman's Guide periodically has Pilotis for $40 a pair plus shipping. They're not an ultimate driving shoe but they're comfortable enough that I can wear them all day which translates into less crap to tote around. Alex
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Has anyone tried those barefoot shoe/toed shoe things? Although I wouldn't want to work the course in them I think.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

purplepeopleeater wrote:Sportsman's Guide periodically has Pilotis for $40 a pair plus shipping. They're not an ultimate driving shoe but they're comfortable enough that I can wear them all day which translates into less crap to tote around. Alex
Are pilotis sized pretty accurately in your opinion? i found them on sportsmansguide, thanks for the tip.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

I wear a size 13, exactly. Anything short of a 13 (12.999999 for example) and my feet explode with pain. My size 13 Piloti's are a tad loose but nothing bad at all. I'd say they fit rather well.
DrSeuss

Post by DrSeuss »

I wear mine at work but that's about it since I sit all day. I bought them originally for autox but I feet were screaming in pain at the end of the day. Plus I don't think they grip the pedal well. My foot has slipped off the brake 3 times in my short autox career and each time I was wearing Piloti's. Changing shoes is an option but the benefit just didn't seem worth it to me.