Fire Extinguisher

Discuss all things auto related.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Fire Extinguisher

Post by kyle.bowker »

I just got done spending hundreds of dollars on my car putting in new seats, floor mats, roll bar, etc. so I decided ir was worth it to spend another couple hundred on a good on-board fire extinguisher as a precaution. I hope I never have to use it but with any car, especially one as old as mine, it is a possibility. Better safe than sorry. I got the Brey-Krause underseat Miata specific mount and 2.5lb Halon fire extinguisher from OG Racing.

Things to note: a 2.5lb Halon fire extinguisher carries a 5BC racing while a 2.5lb Halotron fire extinguisher is only 2BC. That means the real deal Halon offers more than twice the fire suppressing power of the Halotron for only 50% more money. Dry chemical vs. Halon is no question in my mind: get the Halon. You can either spend the money now to get the right fire extinguisher or you can spend a lot more later cleaning up the huge mess caused by a dry chemical extinguisher. Dry chemical is corrosive and conducts electricity. Also be sure to securely fasten your fire extinguisher. Zip-ties or velcro ain't going to cut it.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Re: Fire Extinguisher

Post by david.valeri »

That mount looks like it could hold a 150lb person in place. I don't think that 10 lbs bottle is going anywhere with that thing.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

I keep one in my car as well. Of course, if your engine catches on fire, you probably just want to let it burn. And most fire extinguishers will eat through rubber (not sure about Halon). The main reason I keep it is to keep a little problem from turning into a big one (brakes, maybe). I've seen carbeques on the side of the road where the drivers are helpless and just have to let it burn.

If it ever gets used, it's more likely to be for something non-car related.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

mla163 wrote:And most fire extinguishers will eat through rubber (not sure about Halon).
See my warning above about dry chemical fire extinguishers. There is a reason they use Halon on airplanes and race cars.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

kyle.bowker wrote:
mla163 wrote:And most fire extinguishers will eat through rubber (not sure about Halon).
See my warning above about dry chemical fire extinguishers. There is a reason they use Halon on airplanes and race cars.
I can't be expected to read the whole post. :p
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

I decided that a portable handheld extinguisher was the right price and size for me. All said and done it cost me about $270 to protect my ride. But if you have a bit more room to spare SafeRacer is having a sale on a FIA Homologated on-board AFFF fire suppression system. It's only $325! Perfect for those who have dedicated track cars and don't care about losing trunk or passenger space for the tank.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... ign=201010