92 Miata

Discuss all things auto related.
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

92 Miata

Post by earl998 »

I have water laying in that open area under the door sill in my 92 Miata. Is there a drain somewhere that i'm missing. I see the drains under the seats and in the footwell. Help!!
ferris

Re: 92 Miata

Post by ferris »

there are drains under the car at the back of the rocker. Basically, go to the back of the door, then towards the rear another couple inches and under the car. There is a rubber tube that sticks out and I'm sure they are clogged. I would suggest cleaning them out. The drain starts at the base of the roof near the seat belt towers.

I believe there are drains at the front as well, but I can't tell you exactly where they are.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

Earl,
I had this problem with a 2002 Miata-- It's very common. In my case it was the drains for the roof. They are visible just behind the doors when the roof is down. I blew them out with compressed air and that solved the problem.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

I think there are two drain systems and we're getting them confused. There are the roof drains that take water and other debris from the roof to the rain rail down the hatch by the seat belt towers and out the rubber hoses inboard of the pinch welds on the rocker panels.

Then there are the rocker drains, which are little holes in the pinch welds at the jacking points. On our '93 the rockers filled up so much that when I backed the car out of the driveway it sounded like someone getting into a bathtub. Opening up the drains in the pinch welds got that water out of there and it hasn't been accumulating there since.
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Post by earl998 »

Thanks Claff, i knew there had to be a drain there somewhere. I'll unclog it as soon as it stops raining. :D
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

The rocker drains on the early cars (90-93) were smaller. I widened mine up a bit many years ago with a thin bladed screwdriver, but the rocker rusted out anyway. Cleaning the junk out should help.
ferris

Post by ferris »

I hope you already fixed this, but for anyone else who has this issue, this PDF has a nice picture of the rear rocker drains.

http://www.metzair.com/downloads/Raise_Your_Miata.pdf
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

Nice PDF by Tim Metzinger there, but I know that a lot of us with lowered Miatas, and especially mine with the R lip on the front, there's no way to get a jack under the nose to get to the crossmember. I've only got maybe four or five inches between the ground and the lip.

Flyin Miata just came up with these neat jack adapters to get your jack's pad off the pinch weld itself, reducing the obliteration that a lot of us have done to our cars already. Next time I order some goodies from FM I"ll add one of these to my order:

http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid= ... r=35-70000
ferris

Post by ferris »

I have something that is exactly the same but polyurethane ... it was for my passat, but it is too shallow for the miata and I have been thinking about trying to cut some out of it.

That looks like a cool product though.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Frank and I use a 2x4 with a groove cut in it. Slip 2x4 onto pinch weld, put jack under 2x4, jack from side. Find a friend with a circular saw or a router and make yourself one. The board is about 1 foot long.

It will work on my car with the blue Harbor Freight jack so it should work on almost all Miatas.
moxnix
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 0

Post by moxnix »

I just cut a slot in a hockey puck.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »