Top Gear USA

Discuss all things auto related.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Top Gear USA

Post by david.valeri »

My vote is: meh

Cinematography: Shaky video from camera vehicle, shaky video from in-car cameras. Very sub-par for Top Gear in some places but mostly of good quality.

Presenters: Where was the banter? There were a couple zingers here and there, but for the most part it ran like an episode of Fifth Gear with less polish. Only slightly less annoying than Viky's giggling and that bearded buffoon's worthless segments. I expected less fact and more humor.

The interview: You had Buzz Aldrin, I am sure that man has stories out the wazoo. I would have liked to have seen at least one interview question rather than a weak review of the list of his cars.

Commercial breaks: We run a 3 minute piece where the presenters tell you what they think while driving the cars. Then we go to commercial. Then we come back and the voice over recap replays 45 seconds of what they just did before the commercial. Then the presenters stand around in the studio and say the same thing again. I think this crap made Mythbusters unwatchable so I hope it doesn't do the same to Top Gear.

I'm sure they will get better as time goes on. I hope they survive long enough to get comfortable with each other and work out the issues. It probably doesn't help my perception any that I watched the Top Gear episode with Diaz / Cruise and the Senna tribute right before watching the US show.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Re: Top Gear USA

Post by Dan133 »

The chemistry is missing between the hosts--Tanner Foust is a great driver but is a bit short on personality. The interactions of the hosts seem forced. Hopefully it will get better with time.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

yeah... it was actually quite boring.

I don't understand how you can make a segment with a viper and a cobra attack helicopter so boring...

Tanner really doesn't have a stage presence at all.

They also need to spend less time spouting out 0-60 times (ie fifth gear) and more time reviewing the car... or beach invading.

I'd actually rather watch fifth gear.

hopefully they'll rotate some better cast in (UK version wasn't perfect the first season either) and get some chemistry.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

It certainly has a long way to go to be entertaining. Not a fan of Tanner at all. The original TG wasn't nearly as fun so although possible over time it could get better, my vote is it won't make it. Just like most Brit. shows converted over & redone in the US. A unique car show would have been much better then a rehash.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Post by earl998 »

Man, you guys are harsh. Give it some time. At least it's a show about cars and not another rehab/ half-assed celebrity/ reality show piece of crap. I hope it makes it because we need more car shows not less. JMO. Thanks, Earl :)
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

The second episode was better. I think it had something to do with Tanner not presenting.
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Post by earl998 »

I liked the second episode more also. The ending was classic.
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

The show is horrible. The thing that makes Top Gear good is the challenges (did communism make a good car, make a car-boat, build the car rocket, go to the north pole on cars, etc) and this show lacks those.
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

Not impressed so far, but getting better. In-car cameras are way too shaky. They need to talk to franklin and get some camera mounts that arent garbage :) Or at least hang some weights from them to stabilize them.

Overall, it is one of the few car shows on cable, so how can we really complain. It will get better, but it should have been "epic" from the get-go. Literally even if they spend a year perfecting every aspect of it, people would still give it crap.

I'll continue to watch, even though it needs work. What else do we have? Chasing classic cars? Advertiser ridden saturday morning how-to shows?
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.