WTB: Stock NA Miata wheels

Items wanted to buy.
Fendamonky
Car: 1996 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 50

WTB: Stock NA Miata wheels

Post by Fendamonky »

Newblet here! I just did my first CDC event on the 9th and it became quickly apparent that my current tires are NOT suited for auto-x.

I'm looking to buy a spare set of wheels for my NA Miata. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something I can use to mount a sticky(er) set of tires on so I don't slide all over the place with my 400 treadwear economy/commuter tires.

I figure somebody has a set of stockers laying around that they replaced with a nicer set and now don't need. Obviously I can pick them up from yours or just grab them at an event.

Thanks,

Levi
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Re: WTB: Stock NA Miata wheels

Post by echan »

Depending on how many miles you put on your car each year, one option may be to buy a set of Dunlop Z2 and just drive them daily as well as for autocross. However if you drive 10K miles or more a year, this might require another set of wheels as you indicated. I have a Miata that I just replaced my Z1s that had good tread but dry rotted (the tires are several years old but I drive less than 3K miles per year).
Fendamonky

Post by Fendamonky »

Unfortunately I drive an easy 20k+ a year commuting from Crofton to Alexandria for work. I'm thinking my best bet will be to just get the second set and have it dedicated to fun times. I'll probably actually end up leaving the more performance oriented tires on for a month or two during the spring and fall though, since realistically the tires really only have a shelf life of about 3 years (as you've experienced with the dry rotting) regardless of whether they're worn to the cords or not.

I've got the same setup (two sets of wheels) for my rx-7, but the rx-7 hasn't run for a couple years because rotary :lol:
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

I can make sure that the Rx-7 tires don't dry rot if you want me to :D

They just need to be driven on every so often to flex the rubber.

-Rocky
Fendamonky

Post by Fendamonky »

Lol, that works for me Rocky. Bring the FD by one weekend and we'll swap wheels. Then just bring them back at the end of the season, or their lifespan (whichever comes first).
Fendamonky

Post by Fendamonky »

I'm no longer looking for the OEM daisy's. Phrank hooked me up with a set :D