Forum Suggestions

Forum feedback, suggestions, report glitches.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Forum Suggestions

Post by BugBomb »

-Can you make CDC icon at the top of the page link back to the main page, and make the CDC Discussion Forum text link to the Forum? It would be nice to have a quick link back to the site.

-Can you increase the time to edit posts? I just tried to edit one and by the time I finished my thought, I was no longer allowed to edit it.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: Forum Suggestions

Post by kyle.bowker »

I was planning to fix the header to incorporate our standard banner image and link back to the website's home page. I just haven't gotten to it yet.
However, this artwork is much more narrow than the current forum header and I haven't figured out an elegant way to incorporate this graphic with both a link back to the main website and the forum index page. We may end up just linking back to the main page like the header on the blog does. I've got to decide which is more important: having a header image that is harmonious with the rest of the website, or use what we've got now and just make the logo icon link back to the main page like you suggest. You can always click the "Board index" link at the top of every page to return to the main forum.

The current time limit to edit posts is 1 minute. I did this to allow quick spelling/grammar corrections but limit ninja edits. Will 2 minutes suffice?
moxnix
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 0

Post by moxnix »

I would rather see the normal CDC header and have it link back to the main CDC page.

I think about 5 minutes would be better for a edit time limit. Is there that much of a problem with ninja edits?
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Edit time limit is now 5 minutes.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Just a thought here, but it would be cool if every event had it's own thread in the auto-x forum (from here out).

For example, the blog would have a recap of the latest event and a link to discuss. The link takes you to the thread and everyone talks about it there.

It would be outstanding if the forum had a feature where organizers could check a box and their thread would become an entry on the blog with a link to the discussion! I know that's pretty far-fetched, though.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

We can do that. In fact, anybody can start the thread beforehand to talk about upcoming events. When either Ed or I writes an event re-cap for the blog I can include a link to the forum discussion. This is similar to how motivemag.com does it.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

I'm used to being able to go back and edit a first post at any time. i.e. close out a for sale thread in the first post rather than the bottom one.

Is that not an option?
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

The forum software does not distinguish between the first post in a thread and subsequent posts in a thread. The forum configuration allows users to edit their post for up to 5 minutes and then it's set in stone. I think VBulletin might do what you want but then again VBulletin costs $100+ a year and phpBB is free.
ericw
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

Can we activate the Tapatalk app? Makes it a lot easier to access the forum from your smartphonez. I use it for a number of other forums and it works really well for me.

http://www.tapatalk.com/
silver 681
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

ericw wrote:Can we activate the Tapatalk app? Makes it a lot easier to access the forum from your smartphonez. I use it for a number of other forums and it works really well for me.

http://www.tapatalk.com/
I'll look into this.
-- Jason
ericw
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

Am I the only one who uses the forum on my phone? :oops:
silver 681
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata